Loading ...

What are your coaching top tips? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Coaching Top Tips » What are your coaching top tips?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Top Tips

What are your coaching top tips?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Colin

I'm interested to know any tips coaches have.

Mine is if you want to show your participants a move or a formation on your tactics board but you've left it behind, or it's raining and your pad and pen won't write, then my top tip is to use the player's drinks bottles. Put the bottles on the ground and you can move them around like giant magnetic pieces - plus the players can see their own bottle in their position. Even better if you have a small ball.

Start formation

Starting line up above and then below if the wide player can move and look for the centre midfield to play that pass.

Move wide

Looking forward to reading what other coaching top tips people have.

• Coach_Browning

Some of these are mine...some are ones that I have picked up from others over time...

1) Dont just teach players the how but also the why

It sounds really basic, but to be honest it took me a while to fully realise. I used to coach people how to do things, how to run routes, etc...Now we also focus on the why we are doing it. Why do we run these routes against that coverage - this can be translated into any sport. By doing this we have players with a deeper understanding of tactics. This then translates into us being able to make adjustments to schemes during a game much easier as players can understand  the bigger picture.

2) There is no substitute to film

The film never lies! Players will always have a particular view on their actions during a game, but the film will show the reality. Whenever you can, get film of practices so it can be reviewed after.

3) Get a (experienced) player to demonstrate the skill - not you

This is openly plagerised from BAFCA teachings...but for many of us our playing days are over. As much as we would love it not to be the case, for many of us Old Father Time  has caught up with us and we don't have the same athleticism as we used to. As a result our ablity to physically demonstrate some sklls is reduced. Better to get a player, who you know can do it, to demonstrate. This also frees you up to be a coach and teach the skill

4) Don't be afraid to work with players to develop training

One thing I have tried to do is to work with players to allow them to start to take some ownership of elements of training. For example, my positional group do a warm up that incorporates a drill designed by them. They apprached me with the proposal, it seemed perfectly fine and fitted in with what we needed and so they do it. Also, they feedback thoughts on training all the time. This allows us to make tweaks as needed - or not.

This last point is key. This is not to say that players are in charge - we are - but they are active participants in what we are doing. Therefore, while we don't do everythnig they request, if you listen to them then usually they have something useful to contribute...and if they feel like they have ownership over something then I think they will respond better.

• Colin

Got to love number 3! Although nothing funnier than seeing a coach fall on his behind.

I agree with all your points and number 4 is something we have just started to do with our players. Rather than just letting them moan and whinge it gives them ownership as you say and us a clear idea of what we are doing is in the right ball park - sorry, wrong American sport analogy!! :0)

• For me my top tip is to make it fun you must have this in abundance because if you can get your team enjoying and laughing then they are learning. Also a pet hate of mine is make warm ups fun and not just laps of a field with stretching I was taught a simple game called gainer which is perfect for rugby and football and can be adapted to other sport sure most people should know what this is but if not here's the rules. 

First choose a type of kick eg grubber kick depending on numbers this dictates how big th playing field is. Then other rules of ball caught cleanly ten huge steps forward if dropped ten small steps back 😉 Ect pout scored for kicking ball over defending try line.

if then progress to touch after doing dynamic stretching. Then I'd regress into simple handling.

This has been a hug hit and given all my kids a huge amount of confidence in the basics of rugby.

another tip is confidence you must believe what you are saying is correct and this will In turn convince others. 

Trust and empower your learners/players.

Learner led feedback with Key points from staff/coaches.

Communication both to players and parents is also essential.

also for me what enabled me to understand my sport better was I completed a WRU level 1 referees course!

• marion

From 2008-2010 I coached the Bbox men's tour de France cycling team (Thomas Voeckler, Pierre Rolland, etc)..a lot of firsts for them and me-First time a woman coached a men's team, first time alot of them used a power meter and did testing accordingly, first time in a wind tunnel dialing in positions and making changes, first time using an off season strength and stability program

the key points?  Make it Fun, Drive home that this is what it takes to make a difference, DONT BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW! Weight training was new to them as was using a stability ball-once they got over trying to play football with it they realized the importance of core strength on the bike and I spent a bit of time with individual riders going over the excersizes.....Learn from eachother!!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)