Loading ...

What are your top 5 coaching Dips or Yips? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Coaching Top Tips » What are your top 5 coaching Dips or Yips?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Top Tips

What are your top 5 coaching Dips or Yips?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Ralph

Dip 1    “No pain, no gain.”

The list of things that are wrong with this, would cover an entire book and has done.

Dip 2    “The best way to improve your standard is to compete as much as possible.”

I hope as coaches you don’t agree with the above statement, unless you want to do yourself out of a job. Chinese coaches in most sports, don’t let them compete until they are 16y+

This comes with “practice, makes perfect.” No! Only perfect practice makes perfect and there is no such thing as perfectt.

Dip 3    “Do what-ever it takes to win.”

This comes with, “Football is more important than life and death.” Shankley

Wrong! “It always matters how you win.” Enders Game

Dip 4    “If you believe enough and work hard enough, you can achieve anything.”

Research; snake-oil and panacea.

Dip 5    Post Match “There’re useless, how did you loose to them?”

Pre Match “There’re useless, you can’t lose to them.”

This comes with, “Second place is the first looser.”

What are your top 5 coaching Dips or Yips?

• pippaglen

Yet their are stil many coaches that still think this way.  

My experience a few years ago I was stood waiting for athlete's to return from a cross country competition,  the first 2 athlete's crossed the Finnish line whilst coaches was waiting,  another young lady crossed the Finnish line with bright red face and threw up,  the coach turned to me and stated I know she hasn't worked hard if she's not been sick.  I was so angry at this I had to walk away.  

Why do some coaches think pushing young athlete's so hard to the point of being physically sick is good.  

I have also seen this with adult's training this isn't good,  putting so much pressure on the body to perform to the point your body reacts to make you physically I'll.    

• Ralph

Actually Emma, I as yet, don’t have a problem with “bucket training.” No evidence it’s harmful in context, it’s a normal and natural reaction to extreme exertion, it’s part of the bodies defense system. Where I take issue is, trainers and coaches use it as a guide to brutalize their athletes, they believe one can only gain if pain is present, a test to destruction. Where most people go wrong is they think correlation is causation. There are many biochemical reasons other than effort, as to why we throw up on exertion. He also ignores the fact that the vast majority of athletes that hit the finish line, don’t throw up. I assume he thinks the vast majority of world champions, aren’t working hard enough. As we all know as coaches, training is 90% physical and 10% mental and competition, the other way around. Although I dispute those figures, I get the basic premise. Don’t be angry at him, he is part of the old school, it will die out very soon.

On a more esoteric approach to Improve emotional controlCharlotte Kemble - Gymnastics Coach

It’s been said by Iain McGilchrist, top neuropsychologist, that there is only one true emotion. All the others aren’t emotions, a bit like Matter and Anti-Matter, one tries to cancel the other out.

Ruthless can be defined as "without ruth" or "having no ruth." So what, then, is ruth? The noun ruth, means "compassion for the misery of another," "sorrow for one's own faults," or remorse. And, just as it is possible for one to be without ruth, it is also possible to be full of ruth. The antonym of ruthless is ruthful, meaning "full of ruth" or "tender." Ruthful can also mean "full of sorrow" or "causing sorrow." Ruth can be traced back to the Middle English noun ruthe, itself from ruen, meaning "to rue" or "to feel regret, remorse, or sorrow."

Put simply ruthless is without love and ruth is love, the only true emotion, and one can’t and shouldn’t control love and you can’t improve on it, it’s already perfect. So improving emotional control is the wrong question. As love conquers all, the best way to improve anti-emotions, like fear, use love. Your athlete may get upset but at least they care enough to get upset, unfortunately they get upset from what has been called “a thought virus.” They have been told something about themselves and their performance that is not true. I’ve put my top 5 coaching trips or dips or yips, there are many.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)