Loading ...

Research Help | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Coaching Top Tips » Research Help
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Top Tips

Research Help

Subscribe to RSS
  • IanDavies

I am undertaking an MSc project looking at the effectiveness of coaching of the line out in rugby union.

I am currently trying to ascertain if there would be any cross over in training techniques from other sports.

Within your sport how long would you spend on jumping techniques? Are there any biomechanics factors (knee angle, ankle, etc) you concentrate on

Are there any training practices you incorporate into the training? How much emphasis do you put on the usage of the arms?

If there are any other points you would like to make please feel free. Happy to discuss over the telephone if that is easier for you?

Thank you for your help

• pippaglen

I have used many cross overs in sports, high jump technique for basketball and vice versa.  Also jumping on and off different height boxes to strengthen the thighs and to perfect the jumping action not forgetting using different height hurdles for jumping.  

With younger children I have used one of the extremely long elastic band that they can stand Inside on either side of the band. 3Rd children has to see how high they can jump. Every time they jump higher the band is pulled up higher.  really good competitive game. You can get in to groups of 4 see who gets the highest. 

Also stand heigh jump. Athletes have a post it note in fingers,  stand against a wall sideways.  Making sure bending knees and swinging arms forwards and backwards get them to jump as high as they can whilst sticking the post it note on the wall where they have jumped. Give another post it note and Try again. I do give emphasis on the arms for the jump this helps with height.  Get athletes to jump around with arms by the side and see what happens. Then ask to jump about using arms see how high and how much further they get. 

This too can end up being competitive and fun, I would only spend about 20 mins.  Don't want athletes getting  too bored or sore joints. 

Many cross overs in all different sporting this is why I love being a multi sports coach. 

I think depending on how long athletes have been training for.  if they are adults or younger athletes.

• Tricoach

Biomechanically looking to see if the athlete has good squat & triple extension patterns. Usually start with basic plyometric skills such as ankling, as well as looking at their landing mechanics stepping off boxes. Tend to use activities such as space hopper relays - brings in for postural stability & squat; two footed hurdle jumps where they have to drive with the arms and one of the athletes favourites jumping in & out of a builders bucket filled with water. On the way in it over emphasises deceleration & tests their stability & posture, in order to drive out from water up to their mid shin they really have to dip down & drive.   Key thing is the amount of single & double contacts in a session. Lots of crossover from other sports - I tend to work with triathletes, not usually a sport where you would anticipate explosive jumping drills.

• AndyP

It's been a long time since my rugby days (and even then it was only school level!) but aren't line outs usually from relatively stationary positions, with the bulk of the height coming from the lift rather than the jump?

Even if there is a little hop beforehand, I suspect that the jump is more of a power activity relying on muscular contraction with a fairly long ground contact than the jumper's plyometric capabilities.

There's definitely value in any sports person doing plyometric work, but I'd be very careful with big heavy rugby guys doing too much of it - based on what I see in the weights room my impression is that the "go hard or go home" culture prevails amongst rugby players so it could be a recipe for distaster.

In terms of the jump itself, I think the biggest "bang for your buck" would come from olympic lifts and box jumps.

But, as a complete outsider, I'd suggest emphasising the work with the lifters might see the most returns - ensuring there is trust in those relationships and that they work well together. It seems like a totally different world, but I'd imagine a lot could be learnt from cheerleaders in that respect - they are having to hold and catch in off-balanced situations, constantly adjusting to adapt to what the person in the air is doing. They may have cheesy smiles, but to support someone with one arm while they balance in a bizarre pose must take phenomenal control and awareness of not just your own body position, but that of the person up in the air too.

• IanDavies

Thanks for the answer

• IanDavies

Yes the lift is important (another aspect of the study) but it starts with the jump

I do like the "out of the box" thinking that the lifters could learn from cheerleaders or such like

• Being a figure skating coach we use plyometrics as an off-ice tool to improve on-ice jumping. With beginners and children I keep this similar to playground games - hopscotch etc wtih emphasis on hip, knee and ankle alignment etc and speed out of the floor. 

Definitely a good squat position and triple extension speed is crucial ... and this also helps when replicating the jumps off-ice on dry land. We use the arms to the max as thats how we gain height and then rotations for our jumps. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)