Loading ...

Zombie ideas in coaching? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Coaching Top Tips » Zombie ideas in coaching?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Top Tips

Zombie ideas in coaching?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Ralph

A Zombie idea is a theory that should have died but is still hanging around. For example, “no pain, no gain.” It’s been completely disproved yet still hangs around, like some bad B-movie.

Which one’s have you come across and why do you think it hasn’t died?

• EllyNetball
    On 27/08/16 7:14 PM, Ralph Samwell said:

A Zombie idea is a theory that should have died

I don't know what it is, so it probably has died out in the sphere in which I work!!!

• Ralph

How about; “Netball is a girls sport, if isn’t played by both sexes, it’s not a real sport!”

• IanMahoney

Women can't run more than 800m ..... well both Liz Mcolgon and Paula Radclffe 'blew that of the water'.

Fishing is no a sport .... I'm not a fisherman but most fishermen othet tan  ses catchers clss themslves as sportspeople.

If it tates good it isn't doing any good.

the list goes into infinity!

• pippaglen

Yes there are still coaches and athletes that continue to use no pain no gain and also training to the point that the athlete is throwing up during training session. Which for me one of my bug bares. Some will say they haven't had a good enough session if they haven't thrown up. For me if your putting your body through this form of torture this isn't good, it putting much more strain on the heart which potentially may cause heart problems. 

• Ralph

Sorry Emma, I have to disagree. Yes, putting strain on a heart through maximal exertion is risky, as does every single professional athlete, most semi and amateurs, week in, week out. Correlation is not necessarily causation. There is no evidence “Bucket training” does any more harm than what the vast majority of athletes do all the time. You remember Usain Bolt advert recently; constantly showing him throwing up? Pain is a gift nobody wants and most pain is in the brain, all pain is perceptive, there are no pain receptors in muscular tissue.

D.O.M.’s is a natural part of hypertrophy, which is part of the process of growing new and stronger muscle tissue. When your athlete says they “feel it” in their legs, they don’t, that’s just the brains mirror neurons making you aware of the location of the tissue threat.

I know, hard to believe but it’s true, all sensation is perceptive, taste, sight, sound, touch; all the brain making an interpretation of nerve impulses. Everyone’s brain is a “best guess computer.”  What you think of as reality, is really only a construct for survival of our particular species. The better the information, the better the guess, the higher the intelligence, the better the guess, yet still always only a guess. Another species has a completely different reality construct based on their available information, e.g. a Bat. We are quite rightly, completely unaware of what’s going on in the real world, except for some clever science, math and physics. ALL humans are full of conformational bias and cognitive dissonance, which distorts our reality and accuracy.  Great coaching is managing that problem.

Pain is a gift, it’s our defence mechanism, throwing up is a natural mechanism, pushing ourselves to extremes is a natural mechanism for the few that truly want to be great. If you wish to do no harm, don’t coach at elite level, it’s brutal by definition.

Going above and beyond the natural repair mechanisms, is where the real harm is hidden. Where I agree with you is, those that think, they have to throw up to get maximal benefit, no evidence for that either and loads that show, humans can take training into a form of self abuse, clearly harmful.

One can train without pain and still gain. Now it comes down to, how much do you want to gain, how much risk are you prepared to take?

• garylambert

Here's mine... "Practice makes Perfect".

often trotted out cheaply and often in response to some form of minor (or slightly more significant error or failing). It fails to address the key aspects of what has or is going wrong, in fact it could even result in repetitive mistakes and reinforcement. It is all about purposeful, directed and critical practice if the improvements needed to achieve higher levels.

I can sort of understand it being used at certain levels to encourage people to persevere, but would far rather invest the time encouragement and work with the player to help them see the goal and journey than deliver this line.

(dont get me started on the idea of the perfection bit of it!)

• AndyP

This one is far more specific than any of the other excellent examples above, but for me it's sports people doing heel flicks in their warm ups.

Other than a footballer doing a rainbow flick,  I can't think of a single time in sport when that movement is performed, yet I still see it being done over and over and over again!

It's a bit of a pet-peeve for me, which I should really just learn to get over!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)