Loading ...

Your opinion on the L2 Award in MultiSkills Development in Sport or L1 Activator qualification | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » Continuing Professional Development (CPD) » Your opinion on the L2 Award in MultiSkills Development in Sport or L1 Activator qualification
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

Your opinion on the L2 Award in MultiSkills Development in Sport or L1 Activator qualification

Subscribe to RSS
  • kbrown

UK Coaching (Learning Team)  is interested in hearing the thoughts and opinions of coaches/ learners who have attended the Level 2 Award In MultiSkills Development in Sport and/or the Level 1 Activator qualification.

We are particularly keen to speak with individuals who can provide their opinion of the learning experience while undertaking the training/ qualification and any suggestions about how the delivery methods/ activities/ learner engagement may be enhanced or changed in the future to meet the needs of coaches.

The information provided will be used to assist the learning team to provide the best possible learning experiences that meets the needs of learners.

Are you a tutor of these qualifications? We would love to here your thoughts and opinions too!

If you would like to share your thoughts/ opinions/ suggestions please hit reply to this conversation or alternatively email kbrown@ukcoaching.org (please email your responses if you prefer to remain anonymous)

Thank you.

• pippaglen

Hi Kelly!

I have attended the L2 Multi skills Coaching award a few years ago now. Gordon Fern who was the tutor for this award. Gordon made the learning experience easy to understand, follow and implement. Gordon some how helped coaches to become more open minded about all sports and to implement a multi skills session into any sports. I use Multi skills within many of my coaching session as it gives the sessions verity, excitement and engages athletes. I love using Multi skills especially for younger children by making sessions fun.  I think more coaches should take the plunge if already haven't and go on a multi skills course. 

Sorry Gordon but you inspired me to come a better coach.

Sorry unsure about activator qualification I started as a leader in athletics then assistant so on. 

• MelissaJMarshall

Hi Kelly, 

I have done my Level 2 Award in MultiSkills and I have done around 4 or 5 Level 1 Activator qualification. I did all these through my time volunteering for Active Newcastle around 4/5 years ago. 

I believed that the Level 2 is massive factor into the way I coach, I was a community coach for around 4 years and still do a lot of community work these day. I did the course while in my last year of my degree and I think for me it was a massive eye opener in to how you can coach grassroots in a different way from the traditional format that you would get taught from a NGB. My tutor was very much open to us discussing idea and talking about experiences that we've had (everyone on the course was between 17-25 years old) and bouncing off each other. I still sometimes look at my folder to get ideas of things to do in session. I think focusing games on fundamentals, without the kids even thinking about it is what community coaching is all about.

Level 1 activators for me have always been about bouncing ideas through out a group and not about skill development. My colleague gets our volunteer to do a number of Level 1 activators to gain idea and experience.

Emm I'm not sure if your looking for specific answers but I'm open to have a chat anytime as they have been a massive help to get me a job in sports development.  

Thank you,

Melissa Marshall

• StoolballCoach

Hi Kelly, I'd be really interested to hear more about this too. At Stoolball England we're in the early stages of developing a coaching programme and I think it would be interesting to build in multi-skills elements within a stoolball specific module. Any advice would be happily received.

• coach_lou

Hi Kelly, sorry not sure what happened there, can you delete your own mis-posts?? ;-)
    I completed the Level 2 Multi-skill qualification in March this year. I would echo the comments above about the course positively influencing the way I coach and think about coaching. I think it’s really good additional for any Coach with a sports specific Level 2, it makes you think differently and consider what you can do within your own coaching environment. The 5C’s of coaching complements the Engaging Sessions workshop from UK coaching too.
    It’s a shame it’s not more widely endorsed by governing bodies, working for a CSP I am keen that we run another course but the one I attended had to be rearranged because of low numbers and only just reached the minimum required when it did run.
    I feel Multi-skills/fundamentals are key component not just for coaching children but also coaching people who are returning to or starting a new sport/activity for the first time. I found out about a programme in Canada that focused on fundamental movement skills for older women who weren’t taking part because they were fearful of injuries. I am really keen to explore how I can use this within my staff netball programme to prevent injuries that are preventable if appropriate movements can be developed. Happy to discuss more if required. Lou

• Gordon

Hi Emma/Kelly

First of all thanks for your praise Emma really pleased to know I inspired you in your coaching ?

I have Tutored the level 2 for a few years now and think its such an important course and is a must for any coach .The importance of getting the basic fundamentals right creates good habits for both coach and pupil.

understanding all aspects of Multi-skills from fundamentals to net wall ,Invasion creative movement really challenges the learners to think about all aspects of their coaching making session FUN and inclusive are key areas that help them when they go back to coaching their own sports .I find some of the coaches haven't really planned their own session before particularly if  they are from a sports company where they use the session given and planning the linked session gives them a better understanding of this .

I personally work in schools so use Multi-skills all the time I have also been lucky enough to work with international players and always use fundamentals with them too ?

I think so many learners take positives away from the course and hopefully put this into their coaching practise Gordon

• garyfowler

Morning All

I attended the the L2 course around 4 years ago. I found it not only reinforced my coaching philosophy but also enhanced it.

Liz was a great tutor as she tailored the course to her audience, as the majority of us were already coaching extensively with kids. She took our individual knowledge and blended it with the course material to make it a more engaging course.

I found the theoretical part of the course beneficial to blend into existing practical knowledge.

My assessor suggested I mentor primary school teachers and other coaches in multi-skills delivery. This was very rewarding and I believe has enhanced the service I provide.  I have since delivered workshops for nursery age workers in how to blend multi-skills into an age appropriate Play environment. (I can attach info sheet if anyone interested)

My main issue with multi-skills is a lack of recognition and understanding of what it is. Parents and to a lesser extent teachers are unsure what it is and how it benefits kids. I often go with multi-sports but deliver the same material. I would love to see a collaboration with sport specific NGBs where multi-skills forms at last 50% of any intro or L1 course.  The backing by say an FA would allow many more coaches to deliver non sport specific in collaboration with their own sport.

Only this last week in summer courses my belief in a multi-sport approach with multi-skills foundation is the key going forward as kids can recognise the learning from a variety iof backgrounds. Just think is hockey, football, basketball etc coaches all provided this foundation from the youngest ages!

• StoolballCoach
    On 04/08/17 2:16 PM, Louisa Arnold said:

I am keen that we run another course but the one I attended had to be rearranged because of low numbers and only just reached the minimum required when it did run.
    I feel Multi-skills/fundamentals are key component not just for coaching children but also coaching people who are returning to or starting a new sport/activity for the first time. I found out about a programme in Canada that focused on fundamental movement skills for older women who weren’t taking part because they were fearful of injuries. I am really keen to explore how I can use this within my staff netball programme to prevent injuries that are preventable if appropriate movements can be developed.

Hi Lou, I'm really interested to hear your comments about multi skills for older people. I think it would be so valuable. I really want to do this course, and to build multi skills into the Stoolball England coaching programme. I haven't been able to find the new Fundamentals course or the new coaching children 5 to 12 anywhere nearer me in the South East than Portsmouth, Notts or Manchester on the UK Coaching workshop finder. Please can you let me know if you're going to be running any courses soon.  Or do you know anywhere else I could find a course.?

Thanks, Anita..

• coach_lou

Hi Anita 

We hosted the Fundamentals in June, it was well received so I'm looking to do something again before the end of the year hopefully. I will let you know the dates and location when it's confirmed. Having looked on the UK Coaching website it looks as though there is one in Dorking on 11th September. http://www.ukcoaching.org/how-coach-fundamentals-movement-4

Yes I think there is definitely mileage in this, I've found the document from CAAWS and it looked at Fundamental movement skills for women aged 55-70+.  They delivered a series of workshops that included how the fundamental skills usually aimed at children could be adapted for women. A series of pilot programmes were then awarded funding to deliver activities. 

I'm considering trialling something here at the University in the lead up to the cross department sports competition, hoping it will help prevent injuries. It's not just for older adults but adults who are starting a sport for the first time or returning after a long break (over 20+ years in some cases)

Happy to chat further at some stage Anita, just drop me an email and we can arrange a phone call. 

Lou 

• StoolballCoach

Thanks Lou...that Fundamentals workshop must have been added very recently. It's still over an hour away, but at least it's soon! I'll get booked on.

As stoolball has so many 'older' women playing, that CAAWS pilot is really interesting. I'd been thinking about this for my own coaching (and I am one of those older women too!) so this post was very timely! I've already incorporated fun multi-skills games into the juniors stoolball fun day we're running at my club on Monday...just shows the networking is proving valuable!

I'll email you and we can have a catch up. :-)

Anita

• kbrown

Hi Melissa

Thank you ever so much for your feedback, you have provided some very useful and interesting thoughts. I particularly like the point you made and games with a focus on developing fundamentals (FMS) in community coaching.

Thank you

• kbrown

HI Gary

Thank you for your insight! ts great to hear how passionate coaches are about embedding FMS and value the positive impact this has. Lets hope that over time more awareness of the positive impact of FMS is demonstrated in order to provide better understanding to teachers and parents, in response to your observation.

Thank you ever so much for responding, some extremely useful points to take away.

• kbrown

HI Louisa

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The points you have made about FMS being applicable to all ages, including older adults is a fascinating point. Having working with engaging older adults in physical activity (for over 9 years) I can definitely agree with your point about FMS benefiting not only young people.

This is definitely a interesting point you have made, thank you ever so much .

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)