Loading ...

Coaching assessments. | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
  • pippaglen

Over the past few months I have been busy with work gaining more qualifications. I've also have a little bit of time  left to concentrate on my coaching and Cpd. Saturday coming up I have an assessment to hopefully take me up to my level 4 athletics coach. Like most I get very nervous and anxious when other's are watching however when coaching in front of many it really doesn't bother me, I know I'm capable but still I find it hard to control my terrified and anxious person.  

How many of you have been in this position?

How have you overcome the anxiety and worry?

What advice can you give to new coaches and older coaches that find themselves anxious and worried about assessments days.

Any information with help myself and others.  

• Coach_Browning

I am the same. I know I know my stuff, but there is always that part of me that self-doubts. 

I will, and have, happily stand in front of a room of 50odd players and deliver a chalk board session with stuff bouncing back and forth, fielding questions etc...But the minute there is someone watching me, then the self-doubt creeps in. Is this the day that I will get found out? Did I just get that right? Did I just say the right thing? Am I running this drill right? Am I picking up what I need to pick up? And so on...

When I did my Level 2, they deliberately tried to take us out of our comfort zone. I had coached receivers for about 8-9 years at that point and so I got the Defensive Line to coach. That is basically the polar opposite of what I was used to.

Not only that but I had to do it with one of the country's senior coaches watching my every move (complete with clipboard and pen!) and the people I had to do the drills were themselves other coaches - who knew more about DL play than me!

So I was pretty nervous!

How I got through it?

1. Preparation. For me, I think that sometimes people can get caught in the mentality that they know it and so dont have to prepare - or at least do minimal preparation. Especially if it is a topic/area that they are intimitely familiar with. If you want the nerves to go away, then you pass the assessment before you walk through the door as you know exactly what you are going to do.
    2. Reherse what you are going to do. If you know the structure of the assessment then plan out beforehand what you are going to do (the preparation) and then reherse it. Get used to saying the words out loud. Set things up at home (or wherever) so you know exactly what it will look like. No surprises on the day!
    3. Stick to the script. Ok there will always be an element that doesnt go according to plan, where you will have to make changes and adjust...but if you have properly prepared then this isnt a problem. Hoewever, where possible stay true to your plan and deliver it. 

I guess you can see the theme here. You pass the assessment before you have even walked through the door. 

Thinking of pasing exams/assessment in School/Uni...you wouldnt just turn up to the venue, turn the page over and hope to do well. Rather you would have put the preparation time in beforehand so that you knew whatever came up on that paper you could handle. For me it is the same thing.

Preparation kills nerves.

• Mwood

Hello

I agree that you should be prepared. The important distinction between coaching and a coaching assessment is that you need to design a session to demonstrate the competencies required to pass. This idea linked to understanding your session and what it is intended to achieve are key for assessment. 

To overcome the nerves of being observed I would encourage you to spend time observing others coach yourself so you understand and appreciate what that coach is actually looking for and picking up on. It isn't for example as focused on you as it feels. 

Finally, coach what is in front of you. Know the outcome and purpose of your session and stick to that but coach the individuals. If it is a coaching assessment remember to coach not simply deliver. 

Good luck. 

Matt

• pippaglen

Thank you guy's for your support, I passed my assessment with out any hiccups. I knew that only nervousness would get in the way however it doesn't always apply to some coaches. There are still many coaches that don't plan and prepare sessions. 

• On 29/06/16 9:20 PM, Simon Browning said:

Reherse what you are going to do. If you know the structure of the assessment then plan out beforehand what you are going to do (the preparation) and then reherse it. Get used to saying the words out loud. Set things up at home (or wherever) so you know exactly what it will look like. No surprises on the day!

Thanks for this tip Simon! I may have looked like an idiot on Friday, talking to a bunch of cones in a local park, but i passed my RFU Level 2 assessment without any problems on Saturday :)

• Hi Emma, as a tutor and assessor I would suggest the first thing to remember is the well worn adage "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" which is sadly still true as many proby sports coaches still try to 'wing it' when it comes to assessment time, relying on their knowledge of the sport and not the coaching processes and principles needed. Secondly, of the assessor is any good they'll take time beforehand to speak to the proby coach, try to put them at ease, remind them it's not life and death, and give them a chance post-practical, to talk through how the session went before asking any questions about the session themselves. Maybe the assessor a need more training and a gentle 'nudge' to remind them that they were in the same position one time?! 

Mall the best, Adam 

• PaulMoseley

Congratulations Emma. I'm glad that we could get the Assessment organised and hope that the experience was a positive one that offered an additional learning opportunity working with the Assessor.

I concur with the comments made regarding Planning and preparation before hand, as this really does enable you to become more confident with your own great coaching skills and competencies, whilst recognising that there is still an element of anxiety, as someone is watching you, do your thing!

Best wishes with your coaching.

Paul

• pippaglen

Thank you paul, I feel that more coaches should take the plundge and connect here on connected  coaches. Coaches on the site has been amazing, coaches have given me a boost of confidence and made me feel like i'm ready to take on the next steps into coaching.  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)