Loading ...

Loosing Athletes due to lack of coaches available | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Loosing Athletes due to lack of coaches available
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Loosing Athletes due to lack of coaches available

Subscribe to RSS
  • pippaglen

Over the past few month I found myself in a little bit sticky situation. Just over a year ago I decided to take on a cadets football group to help out the club. I was then advised with my current qualifications I wasn't allowed to continue coaching on my level 3 athletics license and multi skills  and was required to take the level 1 football award.  I was unsure if  I still wanted to continue coaching football as I had other commitments.  January this year I became ill and missed 3 months coaching football and athletics I felt I was letting parents, players and athletes down, I was unable to find another coach to take over whilst I was off and I lost more than half of my players. On returning I actually realised how much I missed coaching the cadets football and athletics so I took the plunge and decided I would go for the level 1 football award, I'm so glad that I had previously taken other level sports like Basketball, athletics and multi skills as this helped me complete the qualification. Since returning my players numbers have become better however I have to go into hospital for an operation and will be off for 3 weeks if all goes well.  I have already sorted plans out for my athletes in athletics and have designed them a plan until I recover, I have tried to sort out the cadets but we have no other coaches available to take over until I return, I'm aware I will loose players again and it will take me a few weeks to get them back.

• How can I get players to return if I loose them?  This time round it was word of mouth and feel I might not be so lucky next time as I feel I have already let them down. 
  • jacobdf

dYour players are members of an organisation and it is that organisation that recruits athletes and should ensure appropriate coaches are available. It is nice of you to look for a coach to cover you, but not your responsibility. It seems to me that the organisation you coach for simply has not planned correctly.

While it is not your responsibility to get the players to return, it is of course nice if you can. Better still is to ensure they do not leave. Your organisation should be able to facilitate this by finding someone to cover for you. I see no reason why they could not use a lower level coach to do this. It would be a great experience for the stand-in coach. The players may also benefit from some different training routines etc.

So, I think you should talk to your organisation and help them understand what their responsibility is and what they could do to not lose players.

• pippaglen

I Jacob! thank you for your reply, it is a little frustrating as I have spoken to all coaches regarding me having time off. I had 19 players in december but when I fell ill in January for the first session back I only had 1 player and has taken a while to get players back again. I was mortified at the fact that I had lost all my players, like you say it's not my responsibily to sort this out. I really hope that during my few weeks off I don't loose them again.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)