Loading ...

Squad selection issues and solutions | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Squad selection issues and solutions
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Squad selection issues and solutions

Subscribe to RSS
  • paulcrocker

i have been coaching 1-2-1 for over 15 years now, in the past 18 months I’ve taken on two synchronised skating teams opening a whole new dynamic to my daily coaching with things like team dynamics, community and culture. 

One area I struggle with is choosing and delivering the squad for the next competition. I know I will never keep everyone happy. I’m a lot nicer than some coaches I’ve heard just make their decision and that’s that. 

We are blessed with good numbers and sinned by these decisions as someone has to be let down. It causes hurt for athlete, parent and committee.

How do you deal with squad selection and naming your teams for the next event?? Has anyone got this right or is it just one of the bad sides to the job of coaching a team?

• HeatherMcD

Hi Paul

• HeatherMcD

As a hockey coach it's something we have to do quite a bit - might be an idea to reach out to Darrin Laishley he might be able to give you some support

• HeatherMcD

My guidance would be what is the goal of the team - is it to be an elite squad or a inclusive team it's also an interesting exercise to get the members of the squad to put forward their ideas in a goals setting workshop then you can gauge why they want to be part of a team in what is essentially an individual sport so their reasons may be social rather than performance. Something else to consider do you audition or trial to be on the team ? Many moons ago I was part of skate electric before I started playing hockey and we had to audition I only managed to be an understudy so I knew where I stood . Hope any of that helps and good luck

• JimNewsome

Hi Paul,

Having been an athlete as well as now a coach, I can vouch for the difficulty of these decisions from both ends. I would say that having a published selection policy can be a real help. That way everyone, athletes and coaches, know exactly where they stand. As a starting point this should include some objective measures of performance but can also include subjective opinions from qualified panels (spread the liability!) and an appeal process - but as long as the athletes know what they need to do to get selected, it should motivate them as well as defuse fallout from decisions they don't like.

FYI - the British Shooting selection policies are publicly available here if that helps as an example - http://britishshooting.org.uk/policies

Good luck,

Jim

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)