Loading ...

Preaching fitness, how is yours. | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Preaching fitness, how is yours.
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Preaching fitness, how is yours.

Subscribe to RSS
  • pippaglen

Having been a runner for nearly 29 years and enjoying every minute of coaching,  as coaches we tell our athletes the best way to keep fit and lead a healthy lifestyle but are we as coaches as fit as we should be, I have found over the past year or so that my fitness level has fallen and maybe put a little weight on,  working hours was crazy and not enough time to look after yourself.

Is it right as coaches we preach to others about staying fit and healthy when we don't take care of our own health due to time restrictions.  

Are you fit and healthy?

How do you fit fitness into your lifestyle?

Do we need to be fit to coach?  

Come guys let's get this conversation rolling.   πŸ˜€ 

Off for a run now 😁

• LawrieOK

lol - my excuse is 'dodgy knees'. But tbh you are right to ask these questions. If you are over-weight, unfit, unhealthy, your credability must be compromised. I am luckily not carrying weight and am fit for my age, but now I am no longer playing sport week in week out the fitness levels are low. Thanks for the nudge Emma Tomlinson. cry

• pippaglen

Don't worry Lawrie I gave myself a little nudge this morning, I'm a winter runner and love training in the cold and snow can't wait. I was quite fit back in March but due to hayfever which started in March tree pollen it has played havoc with my asthma I've been on steroids  πŸ˜­. I'm aiming to get my fitness level back up before my 40th in January next year even if I have to start training early morning then that's what I will do. 

No use preaching to others.  I have heard children talk to each other about teachers ad  coaches being  unfit and underweight. As they say children say what they see. 

Come on coaches let get COACH FIT. πŸ˜€ 

• Quiet1

I've had a crazy busy 8 months but realised half way through that cutting out my own training time was just bad news; I felt terrible and stressed. I'm still as busy now but just being a bit kinder to myself, recognising that if I take an hour out to train I feel so much better. Definitely an early morning exerciser, which sets me up for the day.  

Biggest motivator for me is for my 3 kids to see exercise as the norm - too many parents blame the schools for childhood obesity and low fitness levels, yet consistently model inactivity and laziness to their own children!

• KateO
      Answered

I totally agree! I think we have to be role models, although I think we need to be realistic. For the kids I coach, I try to turn up on my bike rather than always driving my car. Little things like that help the 'healthy ethos'. I had 2 small children and and found it hard to fit training in, but now I am back to swimming/biking/running each a couple of times a week which is great.

Whilst we may not need to be world champions in our respective sports, too much 'do as I say not what I do' is counter productive.  

• pippaglen

Hi Krissi 

I have 5 children  aged 7, twins 14, 18 and 19. My 19 year old is in the Raf he had to loose weight as he was well over weight I have  helped him train hard and lose weight,  he lost the weight,  passed his raf exams and now he's enjoying the life of the forces. However has his first tour in 6 weeks and has put weight on.   I told him about the conversation that I had written,  he said he had to stop and think about why he was wanting to loose weight. I asked and what was your answer.  He said just incase I have to run away from someone if I'm too fat and unfit I want be able too will I.   Now this is his  aim to loose weight to be able to run away from the enemy.  

• pippaglen

Hi Kate 

I have found it hard this year actually harder then I ever have trying to fit exercise into my day.  

I have always found time even with 5 children,  I ran whilst I was pregnant even whilst I was pregnant with Twin,  I found a fantastic pushchair and still ran,  people used to laugh at me in the streets whilst I was running with a double buggy, as my children have become older all 5 got have got on there bikes and biked  at the side of me whether rain or shine It looked like my own running and cycling club.   I haven't got any excuses now but I feel I've become lazy.  It's time too move those legs again.  

It's great to hear other coaches are too keeping it, I would love to ride my bike to work but some of the schools I work in are many miles away.  

• Quiet1

Wow 5 children must keep

you busy!

And yes, when the zombie apocalypse happens, I want to be able to out run them πŸ˜†

• pippaglen

Yes when an apocalypse happens I'm sure we will all be running πŸƒ.  

Yes my children 🚸have kept me fit,  healthy and running about like a crazy lady.

Maybe that's a different conversation,  Do our children really keep us fit. πŸ˜€  

• KateO

Wow 5 kids, you must be super coach!! I have experienced coaches who look like they could never in a million years attempt the sets/exercises they ask their athletes to perform, so I think it is a juggling act of being 'fit enough' but the counter argument could be that if you are too tied up in your own training/performance have you got the head space to really focus on your athletes and their needs? 

• pippaglen

I think you are quite right Kate, when I first started out coaching I thought it was a great idea to keep myself fit by running with the athletes then when I started my level 2 coaching award I was asked would you train with your athletes?  My answer was yes,  the tutor asked can you see your athletes running correctly whilst your running with them the answer to this was No!  So  I decided to stop training with my athletes and train in my own time. I then realised how unprofessional it was not concentrate on my athletes A bit selfish of me really when I look back.  

I think keeping fit is far better than not doing anything at all even if it's 2 days a week. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)