Loading ...

Do you think the price of keeping fit puts parents off when children want to play sport? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Do you think the price of keeping fit puts parents off when children want to play sport?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Do you think the price of keeping fit puts parents off when children want to play sport?

Subscribe to RSS
  • pippaglen

Saturday was my 7 year old son first ever kickboxing session, at first he was a little upset as he didn't know anyone but after having a mother son talk he soon pulled himself together. 20 mins into the session he started to enjoy,  30 mins into the session the children was asked to get there head gear and boxing gloves on. Matthew didn't have any  but the club did loan him a pair for the activity.  The end of session I asked Matthew if he enjoyed,  he said yes. 

Sunday morning my partner and I was walking around Nottinghamshire biggest Carboot,  I was looking for sports equipment bargains when I stumbled upon a kickboxing kit with,  Head guard,shin pads, trousers, gloves,feet protectors I asked my partner do you think we should get them, they had hardly been worn he said yet there's £50 worth of kit. The seller was asking £5 for the lot so we snapped it up. Bargin.   When I arrived home I price up the whole kit it came to a staggering£120.00. Wow. 

Do you think the price for keeping fit is expensive?   Clothing,  trainers,.  

Do you think the price puts parents off when children want to take part in sporting activities? 

Do you think sports clothing should be a little less expensive and more affordable to both adults and children?

• StevieP

Some interesting thoughts there Emma. Like you I have more than the average number of children (4 in total)!! and I have personally found over the years that sports equipment can be expensive depending how you approach this. Children quite often, in my experience, will try a range of sporting activities either prompted by parents or because their friends are doing it. For instance my kids activities have included - football, rugby, judo, boxing, swimming, tennis, golf and cricket. They have stuck with some of these sports much longer than others. My philosophy has been to let them try it for a few weeks and see how likely they are to stick with it before buying anything other than the basic kit or equipment. Sounds like you got yourself a fantastic bargain with the kickboxing kit!! 

• David_T

I think that clubs etc should have a duty to provide kit for beginners - I don't expect beginners to turn up with their own javelins.  So sports who coach for their coaching really should have some basic equipment!

• batty

At the end of the day there is always a price for products and services.

Firstly many of these items are there for our safety! which we can never put a price on..  other than that I believe that product manufacturers do tend to abuse the system.

My primary sport is rifle shooting... place your bets on the price of a gun..

Anything from £2000 to £5000 (for a meter long piece of metal!)

I do however believe that things can be done to reduce costs... for example buying second hand!

But i suppose this is just the nature of the industry!

• pippaglen

Hi Steve. 

For the past 2 days I have been coaching multi sports at a local play scheme,  I've asked parents thoughts on this subject, so many mixed views. Some saying they can't afford for children to participate in sports due to the cost, also some children doing more than one sport a week so costing parents alot of money, parents say children are too embarrassed to participate in sports because they are over weight or feel they aren't good enough, other parents say kids too wrapped up in the play station to go out and play a sports  so maybe it's not just the cost that stops children from participating in sports.  

• pippaglen

Hi Michelle.  

I do agree safety comes first.

Like you say some companies do add on to make profit,

Luckily I managed to buy the kickboxing set second hand. The problem with second hand is that not all children are brought up with hand me downs or second hand things and will put  pressure on parents to only get the best equipment /clothing,  luckily my children haven't been bought up like this and are quite happy to have second hand things. 

my twin girls had some sports clothing that they had grown out of so I asked the head teacher at one of the schools I work at could I bring into school as some children never had Pe kit I would rather children do Pe then sit out.  The head agreed as the school was in a deprived area and not many parents could afford sports clothing for children.    Some children was quite happy to wear and other wouldn't. 

Again another expense without even being in a sports club but a school curriculum lesson and still parents are finding even buying Pe clothing expensive.   

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)