Loading ...

Sports ups and downs: Why have people stopped taking part in sport? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Sports ups and downs: Why have people stopped taking part in sport?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Sports ups and downs: Why have people stopped taking part in sport?

Subscribe to RSS
  • pippaglen

Good morning guy's 

Waking up to sports on the news saying since Olympic 2012 people are no longer taking part in sporting activities due to time, cost and other commitments.

How do you think the government will conquer the decline in sports?

Why have people stopped taking part?

Do you think with the Olympics 2012 made a massive impact on sports in this country?

What impact did it have and why has it declined?  

Is it the expense of participating? 

Your thoughts πŸ’­ PLEASE 😊  come on guy's let's get everyone up and active again, I'm sure thats one of the reasons I wanted to become a coach. 

• LizBurkinshaw

For some sports it will be linked to facilities. In my area there have been several pool closures over the past few years. Inevitably this means less people are able to access swimming. 

• JonWhittingham

Hi Emma, really interesting topic to bring up! The DCMS are clearly thinking along the same lines as you are. Trouble is, I think its a real minefield to address. 

Working mainly in disability sport, we have seen a significant drop in the last couple of Sport England Active People Survey results but no-one (still) can give a proper insight into why. There was a lot of talk about legacy after 2012 and I don't think its necessarily that we haven't done anything to capitalise on it. For me, the problem is that sport (as a general rule of thumb) is not keeping up with society and cultural change. Football for example still is very much focused on 11v11 on weekends which doesn't fit in with the lifestyles that people now have.

Again, for me, sport needs to meet the demands of the people; at the moment, I feel that people are being forced to meet the demands of the sport. Liz makes an interesting point about facilities closing down and that certainly players a big part as you can't play/train/take part if there is nowhere to go! I think what 2012 did was highlight the potential in the country. 

The challenge for everyone, coach or other, is to ensure that sport is accessible for everyone to take part on their terms, otherwise the long-term commitment won't be there. We are not unique in this aspect looking back at participation rates following other major sporting events. You only have to look at rugby in 2003 and tennis every Wimbledon for instance to see what publicity can do! 

The sporting institutions and structure in the country are so long standing that any changes will be difficult, but sometimes a bit of pain makes a big difference in the long-term. Whether that will happen or not though, I couldn't possibly say!

• pippaglen

Thanks for your reply Jon and Liz,   again I feel it all comes down to money with pools and sports complexes closing this isn't giving people the incentive to want to take part in sporting activities. 

Yes your right about football,  ruby,  cricket, although they way they advertise for me isnt all that good although it does work.  Advertising through alcohol is great as it hits most people including children which I don't think is great,  maybe if football had one advert for adults for later in the evening and another aimed at children without alcohol involved earlier.  Sorry not being piniky. Lol  maybe another Blog 

7 months ago I  started up a multi skills club one hour was purely for children from 5 to 11 and the other for adults and teenagers. A few turned up for the childrens session and only a couple of teenager's turned out for the later session,  I had advertised through schools youth clubs leisure centres,  I gave it 6 weeks  gradually but slowly I started to get more younger children but had to stop both due to the cost of the hall,  I wasn't bringing in enough money to pay for the hire of the facilities at Β£50 for the 2 hrs.  

I have in the past hired a school Hall for free in exchange for a free fitness session for teachers,  this works but only whilst the school is open then having to find another venue for school closure. 

I would love to try again as I don't like to give in but a  little put off from previous attempts and experience's.  

Again money is an issue ,  hiring facilities and getting people to turn up. 

Let's hope this next Olympic games can help more get back into sports. 

• StevieP

Hi Emma

As has been higlighted by the comments I think access to facilities plays a big part. My friend started a very successful swimming club for youngsters, running 3 groups for starters, internediates and advanced club swimmers. He benefitted from hiring a pool at a local school every Saturday and Sunday. Within 6 months the club had 45 regular members attending. I used to take my 10 year old daughter and you  could see the kids visbily progressing week on week, in fact it's there my daughter learnt to swim. However the school informed him the pool would be closing (being converted into extra classroom space). He contacted the local council about hiring the local pool on a Saturday morning for the session. They weren't interested despite the fact it was available (H&S concerns, etc). So end of the club and 45 children disappointed.

I think at grass roots level in many sports we just don't have a co-ordinated and genuine desire to provide sporting activity for young people.

Rant over lol!!

• pippaglen

Hi Steve

Some great comments have come from this conversation.  

As coaches say facilities play a big part in sports and participating.   I feel in primary schools sports should be more than 1 or 2 lessons  a week even if it's only 30 mins a session per day making the sessions fun and exciting this will help children want to participate in sports more. 

Our local athletics track that I spent many years training on as well as coach on is no longer being used  due to dispute with the land owners and the club.   I have spent many weeks down on the track helping out Englands throw coach with disability throw and was asked would I start up a group for children, I would love to,  so I have the use of a facility now to find funding to help with equipment and get me started,  how long do you think this will last?  Will I get back up and support if so who is going to give it to me!

• robertkmaaye

Hi Emma

In reference to securing the funding you mentioned there are a few organisations that can point you in the right direction or provide the funding opportunities themselves.

• sports coach UK have a Funding Opportunities for Coaching Guide, which provides details about funding available to support coaches and coaching across England.
    • Sport England have a small grants fund which uses Lottery Funding to make awards of Β£300 - Β£10,000 available to not-for profit organisations to help more people play sport.
    • Living Sport website lists some of the funding opportunities available for sports clubs to continue to develop and sustain their growth
    • Sport England also has Club Matters which is a website that helps sports clubs with a whole host of things.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Rob

• pippaglen

Hi Robert 

Thanks for the information,  I will take alook at the information you have posted,  might need a hand filling the applications  in as I'm not too great at wording things.  πŸ˜.  

Iv looked into sports Nottinghamshire and loads of companies are giving lots of funding away. I just need to get setup and started,  iv done it once before I'm sure I can do it again.  πŸ™Œ. 

• StevieP

Good luck Emma!! Happy to help with any applications, just give me a shout

• pippaglen

Thanks Steve,  I've started the club on Tuesday just gone to see how many participants I would get,  first 2 days only one person,  Thursday a few more I was buzzing.  However having to pay for the venue I was a little out of pocket.   

Changing my venue due to price difference.  I've had great feedback from parents they want me to run another one and have said they can get more kids involved which I think is great too. 

Good with the coaching side but not good with the finding money side of things.  

Hoping Hopefully I can get some sponsorship from local companies.  

Would be great if you could.  Will let you know when I get some.  πŸ˜€ 

• StevieP

The hardest part is getting started Emma, stick at it, and as I said, if I can help on the paperwork side let me know

• pippaglen

Thanks Steve  your a star.  

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)