Loading ...

Transferable coaching skills - opportunity | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Transferable coaching skills - opportunity
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Transferable coaching skills - opportunity

Subscribe to RSS
  • RachelWhyatt

I was chatting to our Operations Manager tonight about coaches for next season and an idea popped into my head - so I will put this out there...

Does anyone fancy becoming an ice hockey coach??

My theory is that coaching is pretty transferable, one of the best coaches I have seen was in Texas - a 50 yo school teacher who had been in the sport 2 years.  If you can coach, does it matter what sport it is?  What is important is your relationship with the kids, having fun and knowing how to get the best out of them. The technical aspects can be picked up over time.

Its an experiment... one I'd really be interested to see how it works out. My team would put you through your Level 1 and teach you the basics of skating and hockey.  You will also need a DBS check through the EIHA.

We are based out of Slough ice rink (Montem Lane) and train Tuesday and Wednesday evenings with around 18 games throughout the season, played at weekends.  We cater for all ages within our club from about 5 yo (learn to play - very cute!), u9, u11, u13, u15 u18 and u20 teams. Bench requirements for games is for one Level 2 and one Level 1 minimum. 

Please let me know if you are interested.

Rach

• StevieP

Hi Rachel

This is a great post. Apologies but as much as this sounds an interesting experience your based too far down south for me to be practically involved. However I do a lot of research on transferrable coaching skills and I believe you make a lot of valid points. In theory the basic principles of coaching are, more or less, universally applied across all sports. It's just the skills or sports specific aspects that need to be grasped. I can relate this to driving a car. All car drivers will have passed their test driving a certain make/model of car whilst learning the basic skills and highway code (underpinning knowledge). However once you've passed your test it's about adapting to different types of cars (Fiesta/BMW/manual/automatic), these different skill sets you pick up in time. Good luck with your offer I'm sure you'll have a good deal of interest!!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)