Loading ...

Which coach has had the biggest influence on your career? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Which coach has had the biggest influence on your career?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Which coach has had the biggest influence on your career?

Subscribe to RSS
  • StevieP

Which coach has had the biggest influence on your career? Is it an iconic, world famous coach or is it your predecessor? What have you learnt from this coach? What legacy have they left?

• KateO

For me, it is my predecessor, who incidentally has just won the (Triathlon) National Participation Coach of the Year. He has been an awesome mentor. U always surround myself with good peer coaches, it keeps you in your toes! 

• KateO

Sorry for typos... Phone + dark! 

• StevieP

Thanks for sharing that Kate. I believe that a good all round coach develops not just the athletes but the rest of the coaching team. Sounds like you are going to have a hard act to follow!!

• David_T

I'd have to say a chap called Mike McNeill, he was Goldie Sayers coach (4th place att he Olympics (potentially brone when the russian edals are reallocated)and also coached Goldie's present coach Mark Roberson to 85m plus in the javelin.

The secret to his success isn't just of course fantastic knoweldge - but Mike is a master communicator! Like nothing I have ever seen, his words are like little drops of magical encoragement to athletes!  It's impossible to be in his presence without learning something and going home a better coach.

• andrewb62

Without a doubt, the person who has had the biggest influence on my coaching career has been Bill Morris, head coach at the Ilford Cricket School in the early 1970s, and the first sports coach I ever encountered.

I have read that Bill was considered “...the sergeant-major - on a clear day you could hear his voice on the other side of Ilford…” but my recollection is of a very patient man, carefully explaining the mysteries of cricketing technique to a 10 year-old, avid to learn as much as he could.

Bill was very “old school” in the nets – pressed flannels, Cross Arrows sweater and cravat – and to this day I find that I am more comfortable myself coaching in whites than a tracksuit!

An inspiration – without Bill’s influence, I might never even have played the game, let alone considered becoming a coach.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)