Loading ...

Last Chance U: Self-evaluation – how do you reflect on your coaching? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » General » Last Chance U: Self-evaluation – how do you reflect on your coaching?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: General

Last Chance U: Self-evaluation – how do you reflect on your coaching?

Subscribe to RSS
  • robertkmaaye

For those who haven’t seen it Last Chance U is a Netflix documentary that follows a group of young men at East Mississippi Community College (one of the most successful programs in the USA) training to become the future stars of the NFL.

Its second series was recently released. A lot of the focus on season 1 was around their coach Buddy Stephens and his style of coaching…in particular his temper and use of bad language (Check out this video for an idea of what I’m talking about!)

Now Buddy watched the first season and didn’t like what he saw of himself and was committed to changing himself.

We can’t all have a camera following our every move to hold up a mirror to our coaching style so I was interested to know how everyone reflects on their coaching?

What techniques do you use?

What questions do you ask yourself?

As always look forward to reading your replies

• Triplepeel

I imagine this question will attract many replies!  First of all, let me say that I coach croquet - so my coaching experience is likely to be quite different to many here - demograhics, no team coaching, and greater emphasis on group courses vs coaching an individual.

Techniques:  I use 3 techniques.  Feedback, both formal at the end of a coaching course, and informal from anyone and everyone who may have a comment on my coaching!   Secondly, I use what may be called 'scanning' - ie I am always on the lookout for information relating to coaching and seeing what I can take from it.  Following this site is a great resource, and reading other coaches' views, comments, etc, always acts as a stimulus.  Thirdly, questioning - I am always questioning myself about how I coach - can I do it better? can I simplify things? A sign of insecurity, perhaps?  There is an element of that about questioning yourself, but the alternative is complacency and losing touch. 

A fourth approach, extremely useful but less frequently available one, is to talk to or assist other coaches. It is worth seeking out this kind of opportunity.

Questions:  nothing really clever here for me - just the basic questions - how can I get better at what I do, how can I make things simpler and easier to remember for my coachees, how can I improve my coaching handouts to aid longer retention. At the end of the day, for me the most fundamental question I ask is: did I make a difference?  If not, what do I have to change?

• robertkmaaye

Awesome reply Roger thanks for sharing your approach! Lots there for everyone to consider and apply in our environments

On 30/08/17 8:03 PM, Roger Mills said:

Following this site is a great resource, and reading other coaches' views, comments, etc, always acts as a stimulus.  

Great to read you find the community so useful laughing

• pippaglen

Hi Rob 

Over the past 2 and half years I have been working with throws coach Phil Pete who has been a great Mentor to me, I have had the chance to work along side Phil working with Paralympic athletes where I have gained valuable information.  Over the past 5 months I have been coaching without Phil due to unforeseen circumstances, Phil has let me loose with his athletes. Watching and assessing the athlete every training day I was noticing that the athletes performance was deteriorating frustrating for me as I couldn't see what or where I was going wrong. For the past 4 weeks I have been asking myself "is it my coaching?"  "Am I over thinking the session?" " What was I doing differently?"  Phil came back last week I explained the situation and asked Phil if it was ok if he coached the athlete whilst I watched, Phil was happy to help. Whilst Phil coached I took notes and observed. 

To be fair I lost a little confidence in myself when I reflected back at the fact I had missed a couple of coaching points and this reflected in the performance of the athlete, I'm glad I had time to stop and reflect on my coaching.  Hopefully this week I will coach with confidence and implement the coaching points I had missed out in hope the athlete will be back on track.

• robertkmaaye
    On 05/09/17 4:53 PM, Emma Tomlinson said:

Watching and assessing the athlete every training day I was noticing that the athletes performance was deteriorating frustrating for me as I couldn't see what or where I was going wrong. For the past 4 weeks I have been asking myself "is it my coaching?"  "Am I over thinking the session?" " What was I doing differently?"

Hi Emma

Well done for being proactive and recognising that you needed to look at your approach. I think it’s the sign of a great coach if they are willing to take a step back and actively look to examine their approach and reflect on how they could improve. I’ve come across loads of coaches who can’t see the benefit of reflecting and it boggles my mind!

To be fair I lost a little confidence in myself when I reflected back at the fact I had missed a couple of coaching points

No one is perfect Emma…I’ve noticed you are very hard on yourself!

Hopefully this week I will coach with confidence and implement the coaching points I had missed out in hope the athlete will be back on track.

Sounds like you are going to be on the right track. Keep me posted on how it goes laughing

All the best

Rob

• pippaglen

Hi Rob!

Not a great day today with the athlete due to the athlete not feeling too good. Discus was good but his shot put was excellent.

After self evaluation  I feel I require more help in the discus throws event and to build my confidence to coach the event better.  I am a little hard on myself as I don't like letting athletes down or give the incorrect information and as I have only been coaching throw event group for 2 + years I feel I have a long way to go before I'm fully confidant with the even.  Even whilst I'm writing this I have a strong feeling I'm actually needing help with discus. but don't know where to go. Is anyone able to HELP!

• David_T

Hi Emma,

Can I suggest you drop Malcolm Fenton a line, he may be able to give you some support or put you in touch with someone else who can.  He lives near Grantham now, so not too far from you and is throws technical lead at England Athletics. I've messaged you his email address just now

Best wishes

Dave

• pippaglen

Hi David

Thank you for your reply, I will drop Malcolm an email and see how he can help me. Thanks again laughing

• Rich.scott285

Rob - Great post and really thought provoking.

This is my first post/reply on the site so apologies if I regurgitate some of the same info that's already been shared.

I'm in the middle of a 'coach developer' class and reflecting seems to be a hot-topic right now. 

Gibbs reflective cycle seems to be a great tool as it can give direction/structure when reflecting. I know I often used to reflect post-session in the car heading home. It's been interesting to share ideas with the group and learn that voice recordings, video, peer-peer discussions (and many more) are all ways to reflect that our group find effective. Most interestingly, for me, is that I'd reflect, but not often enough re-visit my reflections when planning for the next session. This meant I was never really closing the learning cycle and missed key opportunities to implement.

Thanks for triggering some more reflections!

• robertkmaaye
    On 11/09/17 3:36 AM, Richard Scott said:

Rob - Great post and really thought provoking.

This is my first post/reply on the site so apologies if I regurgitate some of the same info that's already been shared.

Thanks Richard! Welcome to the Community great to see you getting stuck in sharing your approach.

Gibbs reflective cycle seems to be a great tool as it can give direction/structure when reflecting.

For those unaware of this here is a link to an explanation with helpful diagram “Reflective writing: About Gibbs reflective cycle”

Thanks for triggering some more reflections!

No worries happy to help...thanks for sharing laughing

• pippaglen

Thinking about self evaluation and the issue that I'm currently facing. 

I was thinking would it be good practice if I devised a survey so once a month athletes would have the chance to give constructive feed back to coaches rather than put pressure on athletes during session to give feedback when they are too tired after session and not in the right frame of mind to give feedback. Coaches allow athletes to write down how they feel the coach is performing, if they give feedback constructively, what are good and bad points does the coach have so one

• Any Ideas?
    • Could this help more coaches self reflect with the feedback, help better plan sessions and be more athlete centered coach.
    • Has this been done already?

• robertkmaaye
    On 11/09/17 11:18 AM, Emma Tomlinson said:

I was thinking would it be good practice if I devised a survey

Could be a good idea Emma. Before you do that though have you tried using the Tandem reports yet? I think the Coach-Athlete report does a lot of this for you. ConnectedCoaches members can access unlimited free Coach+Athlete reports from Tandem reports for the rest of 2017. You can find out more about Tandem and how to qualify in the review blog posted in the Embracing Technology group here. You definitely fit the qualifying criteria (participation based smile) so why not give it a try and see if it’s something that might be helpful? All details of the offer and how to take advantage of it are on the attachment at the end of the blog.

• pippaglen

Hi Rob

Thank you I will take a look, Thanks for the information. laughing

• StoolballCoach

Hi,

I reflect as honestly as I can, straight after a session. I try not to beat myself up though! If something worked/didn't work one time, it won't always. Try to be constructive, not destructive.

Having just watched the excellent video here https://www.connectedcoaches.org/spaces/10/welcome-and-general/video/Blake/talks/9590/why-mindset-using-failure-as-motivation-and-having-fun-are-so-important I realise I have a tendency to be a bit of an 'Eeyore' when I evaluate myself and a 'Tigger' when I coach. So, for me, self-evaluation done alone can lead to too much 'Eeyoreishness'. It explains why I need someone else to bounce off when I'm evaluating, to bring my Tigger back out! 

I did an excellent course 'embedding confidence in your coaching' recently which helped me understand my personality traits and the way I deal with stuff and I realise it is nothing to do with my ability as a coach.

Self-evaluation needs to be critical, realistic and informative, and if Eeyore arrives keep it objective! :)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)