Loading ...

The Value of coaches in this country | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » High Performance Coaching » The Value of coaches in this country
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: High Performance Coaching

The Value of coaches in this country

Subscribe to RSS
  • CoachCF

Adrian Hinchliffe guided Laugher and Chris Mears to Team GB's first ever Olympic diving gold in Rio.

And still he has left us because British Swimming did not see his value. I think it illustrates my point about the need for a coaches association since it seems to me that the contribution ands the value of coaching is not fully understood in British sport.

Do you have any comments about the topic and suggestions. 

• pippaglen

Good question! 

I have had this conversation with a basketball coach from America who came to England for a few months to play basketball for our local team,  he couldn't understand why in this country we do coaching voluntary and that some coaches get paid and some don't,   I advised him that there isn't the funding in this country to be able to pay coaches for the great work they do, he also commented on the lack of sports equipment and small facilities we have in our schools compared to those in other countries.

When compering equipment and size of the sporting facilities available in America you can imagine his confusion and frustration as to why coaches in England aren't valued as much as those in other countries.  

I ask do we need to be paid to be valued?

I don't think as coaches we are valued as we should be, coaches only seem to be valued when athletes win medals, after all the time,effort,planning and own time taken to help athletes achieve and progress towards winning those all important medals. Coaches should be given more recognition for the great work, including not just the coaches that attend the Olympic games but those behind the scenes that work with those athletes on a daily basis without athletes there would be no coaches, without good coaches we wouldn't have great athletes. 

• shootcoach

I quite agree with your last paragraph Emma.  At recent Olympic Games, Team GB achieved gold medals in Double Trap in Sydney and London. I am aware that both of these athletes were introduced to clay target shooting, and coached for a considerable time at local shooting schools before being recognised and placed into the performance group. One athlete used the Team GB system and coaching staff, the other was eventually coached abroad. Gold medals at this level are not easy to come by, and yes I know how the system works, the Governing Body takes the credit and secures funding for the next four year. But I think someone else may have had a part to play in those medals!  

• sophia

My view point is that coaches needs to be valued more and need to be educated better and need to be paid accordingly.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)