Loading ...

ANTI DOPING Cpd | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: High Performance Coaching

ANTI DOPING Cpd

Subscribe to RSS
  • pippaglen

Come on guys your opinions as a coach counts now is the time to have your opinion.  

As part of my Cpd have taken and passed the Anti Doping online course today. If you have lack of knowledge on anti doping why not give it ago apart from the loss of your licence and your athlete being banned what have you got to loose.   I was quite surprised how many drug especially over the counter drugs can damage the athletes reputation for lack of information.  Be safe do it for yourself and your athletes what's 1hr worth to keep your licence and coaching reputation. 

If you as an athlete has been through the Anti doping processes

How did it make you feel?

If your a coach and had to support your athletes through the process.

How did you support your athlete?

How did it make you feel as a coach/ individual?  

• NicoleDbooth

Its definitely important to coaching sport. I feel that it has made a huge difference to my own percerptions compared to before.

It's very easy to get caught out, at a local club it unfortunately happened with a young athlete that didn't really know any better and she got a ban, due to not being aware and the coach not being aware of her medication.

• pippaglen

Thank you for your feedback Nicole. Since this course I have attended many more drugs courses for my current job which also helps me as a coach to identify other drugs miss use and how to deal with this,  

I think now is the time for coaches to start asking for information from athlete's regarding prescription medication / over the counter medication especially when competing and giving back the correct information and advice.  Maybe for coach do some sort of quiz for athletes to see how much information and knowledge  as well as understanding about anti doping. 

• LynneWalker

I was recently looking into this as I feel coaches have a responsibility to keep up to date. On visiting the WADA website I discovered that they have an APP available for free in the iTunes store so now have this on my phone. I would encourage all to do this (athletes and coaches), although you have to be at least 17 years old to download it!

One use could be when travelling abroad with athletes as you have the list to hand if an athlete gets ill and requires medication?

Also an APP does get updated - and saves you having to remember to go to the website to download the latest WADA list WADA APP in iTunes

• NicoleDbooth

Thats ace I'll have to get that. Theres also 100% me that you can reccomend to your athletes to get. It has advice on issues around clean sport.

• williammte

I've been on the courses, listened, nodded, ticked the right boxes and passed.. Why are some substances wrong? I thought our sort was about achievement at the highest level.

• cyclingcoach

Emma et al

I've just become an UKAD Accredited Adviser which is an essential role in informing athletes and their athlete support personnel (ASP) about the values of clean sport and important anti-doping information and advice.

I have taken this on as I believe that as a coach and race commissaire I should do all I can to promote clean competition but also because I understand how confusing and difficult it can be for athletes to get this right. I know for a fact it's a subject rarely discussed in my Club though it's a hot topic in the news. I suspect that most Club members think (if it enters their head at all) on the one hand that they aren't taking anything illegal and on the other that they won't be tested anyway.

Many of the adults (and some of the older kids no doubt) I coach use supplements, as have I when I raced, yet few if any will know that it's supplements that are the cause of most inadvertent use positive test results.

I fully support the Coach Clean initiative and the more we as coaches can do to promote 100% Me the better sport will be. However don't lose sight that it's the athletes themselves that need to take 100% responsibility for their own bodies and it's for them to ensure they are clean, not their coach. The app you mention is great idea and we should definitely encourage all athletes and parents of young athletes to download and use the app.

As an Accredited Adviser I'll also be working with parents to help them understand how to promote racing clean and will provide information on where they can find what they need to support this goal. Again I stress though, it's the athlete's responsibility and as coaches (ASPs) we must not give the impression that we are taking any responsibility for this.

• EllyNetball

I, too, have recently become a UKAD Accredited Adviser and must agree with Ian ...

On 22/12/16 10:30 AM, Ian Tunnicliffe said:

I fully support the Coach Clean initiative and the more we as coaches can do to promote 100% Me the better sport will be. However don't lose sight that it's the athletes themselves that need to take 100% responsibility for their own bodies and it's for them to ensure they are clean, not their coach. The app you mention is great idea and we should definitely encourage all athletes and parents of young athletes to download and use the app.

Of course coaches should be fully aware; we can facilitate by discussing the importance of clean sport and the consequences of not being clean for athletes and coaches.  We can be the ones signposting athletes and parents of young athletes to information sources e.g. where to find out more - both generally and specifically.

It is important that athletes and support personnel take time to read all of the information available and check ANY medications at this site http://www.globaldro.com/Home or supplements (if you / the athletes really need them) at this site http://www.informed-sport.com/
    The 100% me campaign in the Athlete Zone on the UKAD website supports and educates athletes by providing anti-doping advice and guidance http://ukad.org.uk/education/athletes/100percentme/

Here's to #cleansport

• CelticCoaching

Hi Emma,

I recently renewed my UKAD Accredited Advisor as part of my own CPD. To further my development and understanding I also completed a the following course through the Univesity of Lausanne (Doping: Sports, Organisations and Sciences). It was a real eye opener, the complex nature of substance use within sport, particularly what is socially acceptable compared with what is not in sport. 

With the changes to the WADA Code I believe it is essential for us as coaches to fully understand all aspects of doping within sport i.e. what or who would drive an athlete to dope, why an athlete choose to dope, ownership of risk, the list is endless. The UKAD and Univesity of Lausanne courses are certainly an excellent starting point. 

I currently coach an athlete that competes at GB Age Group level in triathlon who has a requirement to take medication for asthma as well as anxiety. As the coach and UKAD Advisor I checked through the code, checked each and every medication through Global DRO, reviewed all the data on Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) certificates. Once all the data was collected I sought clarification from the International Triathlon Union (ITU) and UKAD on the requirement for pre-competition TUE for age group athletes before advising the athlete. 

The key is as coaches we are not alone, these agencies UKAD and WADA are not solely out to issue bans for individuals in violation of the code but offer advice and guidance to prevent and athlete, coach or support personnel from receiving a ban.

Hope that all helps?

Barry

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)