Loading ...

Does it bother you that so many HC head coaches haven’t come through a GB or Irish coaching system? | Welcome and General

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Welcome and General » Forum » High Performance Coaching » Does it bother you that so many HC head coaches haven’t come through a GB or Irish coaching system?
Welcome and General

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: High Performance Coaching

Does it bother you that so many HC head coaches haven’t come through a GB or Irish coaching system?

Subscribe to RSS
  • robertkmaaye

With the Six Nations beginning this weekend, it brings into focus that, for the first time, none of the home nations will have head coaches who have come through the coaching system of the country they coach:

• England – Eddie Jones (Australia)
    • Scotland – Vern Cotter (New Zealand)
    • Ireland – Joe Schmidt (New Zealand)
    • Wales – Warren Gatland (New Zealand).

There are also many examples of excellent coaches in a variety of other sports who have come through foreign coaching systems to become the head coach of a home country, for example England Men’s Cricket Head Coach Trevor Bayliss (Australia).

In your opinion, is it important for the head coach of your sport’s international team to have come through your sport’s coaching structure?

Does it help inspire you and coaches within your sport?

Does it bother you British and Irish coaches do not seem to have a pathway to the top?

Or do you prefer the ‘best person for the job regardless’ approach?

Be interested to read what everyone thinks.

• Not in the slightest so long as they are pationate about the club/country they are coaching for.

Prime example is Shaun Edwards who is English through and Through but not when it comes to rugby he has given his all to Wales.  So too has Waren Gatland its especiall evident when they are singing the national anthem! so say no more. Eddie Jones for Japan he enhanced their reputation and turned them in to a team that needs respect.

I feel that if a coach embraces your culture then they are on to a winner there was a talk give by Steve Hansen and I cannot quote it directly but vaguly remember saying you need to get to know your team their ins and outs ect. like wise coaches need to understand culture, their mannerisums what makes them tick ect. This then enables them to adopt and grow to love where they are from. Also I know Warren Gatland dose a lot of speaking around Wales maybe charity funtions but he gets arround and talks to the people for whom adore his rugby team.

Joe Schmit is another example hes just been granted citizenship so actually hes Irish. if you look at the Welsh set up there is a lot of Welsh home grown tallent involved in the backroom staff. The WRU last year ran a coaching confrence which I went to and they had all of their elite level coaches, Horsman, Strange and Lewis who coach the U 20s and do alot of skill development. Also Sidoli was taking sessions along with Pugh who is heavily involved with Wales 7`s. Ben Whitehouse who is an up and coming WRU referee was also present and they all took sessions which the coaches were free to get involved and question ect. Also the WRU have come up with a new job role which is called a Hub officer and these are coaches that work in schools and cover several schools secondary and primary ensuring best practice throughout. The WRU also runCPD events throughout the year ensuring best practice from the elite sides is filtered down to the grass routes. Even though Warren Gatland was not for this Rob Howley was for most of the day.

If we are honest New Zeland (yet again I would quote what Steve Hansen said but it was a very long talk) have been world leaders in most things in rugby and their standard of coaching is light years ahead of what we offer in the north but I agree their are good coaches one of which is Danny Wilson but yet again hes not Welsh hes English but hes done alot of his rugby learning in Wales. Im a very proud Welshman and as long as the head coach cares about a team he is coaching then I donot care where he comes from.

I say this because if you are that good you will inspire and nuture tallent no matter where you come from purely because you care about the sport you coach.

• robertkmaaye

I agree Christopher. I think the key point you make is whoever it is has to embrace the culture of the country and be willing to pass on their knowledge so it can filter down the game to benefit coaches at all levels...sounds like the Welsh are doing a lot of good things!

• JonWoodward74

Hugely relevant post! When Eddie Jones was appointed, I read a quote somewhere that the appointment was an excellent one for English coaching, but a negative one for English coaches...

In a utopian world, I would like to see British coaches in charge of our national teams. My head, however, says the best person for the job should be appointed, and the back of a disappointing RWC for the Home nations, the 6 nations will be interesting and how soon these 'foreigners' are targetted as the reason for failure?!?!

The key thing for me is to look at why the current crop of coaches are seen as the best for the job, and how much learning we can take to support the coaches coming through the system below. I think it is a relevant point Chris makes as the backrooms staff are made up of British coaches.

If success comes (and taking the 6 nations as an example) this needs to be defined. Only one team can win the tournament, but are we looking at winning or the advancement of players and philsophies? (which I don't think Lancaster was given time to fully embed and develop but that is another thread to discuss)

The proof will be in the pudding, but you need to know what you are trying to make, what ingreadients you need, time to make and experiment and time to cook it!!

• robertkmaaye
    On 04/02/16 2:36 PM, Jon Woodward said:

If success comes (and taking the 6 nations as an example) this needs to be defined. Only one team can win the tournament, but are we looking at winning or the advancement of players and philsophies? (which I don't think Lancaster was given time to fully embed and develop but that is another thread to discuss)

The proof will be in the pudding, but you need to know what you are trying to make, what ingreadients you need, time to make and experiment and time to cook it!!

Grand Slam not a bad start Jon!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)