Loading ...

Concentration Peaks and Troughs | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » All other coaching children topics » Concentration Peaks and Troughs
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other coaching children topics

Concentration Peaks and Troughs

Subscribe to RSS
  • PTGlover

Hello All

My under 9 Rugby League team have been together for a couple of years now, the last few weeks they have trained and played really well, with great levels of intensity. Then at this Saturday's sessions the levels on concentration and application were really poor. The session was well planned, and reflecting on it I can't identify any particular flaws or errors. Does anyone have any suggestions to stop me scratching my head?

Phil

• SteveDickoCricket

Hi Phil, if it’s just one session I wouldn’t be too concerned, kids will just have off days. If it keeps reoccurring, just ask the kids in a little feedback session - ‘what do you like most about training?’ What’s your least favourite?’ ‘What would you like to do?’ I find that by giving them decision making powers you can keep them engaged longer - even at under 9 level their answers can be surprisingly mature.

• andrewb62

Hi Phil

Perhaps Steve has nailed it? Maybe the team had just had one well-planned session too many this winter?

I have found, over a 4 month cricket season, that sometimes we just have to let the boys play.

Unless there is a big game coming up — when we would want to concentrate on drilling on new skills or attributes (running between the wickets; actually paying attention to the skipper when he tries to change the field) — we might just run a mini-tournament in place of a practice night.

• PTGlover

Thanks both. Maybe I am over analysing it. We finished the session with a game and that was the worst element of the session. Will see how this week goes. Probably go with three on three mini games and let the children choose for the last bit. 

• GeoffWood

I agree they aren't 9 yet. Let them play and experiment in a controlled fashion

I ask my swimmers which bits of particular strokes (chosen by the coach) they want to work on during a session.

Then we also ask them to 'coach' each other, providing feedback and corrective practices (under guidance).

Sometimes race type games working on water skills the  coach appreciates but sometimes the swimmers are not aware  they are working those skills

• tonylibert

They are 9

isn't it awesome

Do they smile at you? 

Do you look forward to every session?

Do they wow you with their abilities at times?

Do you ever see them experience joy while they are with you?

You are fine and so are they if you have an affirmative for these.

Thanks for taking care of them 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)