Loading ...

When an athlete tells you "NO" | Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Children (Ages 5-12) » Forum » All other coaching children topics » When an athlete tells you "NO"
Coaching Children (Ages 5-12)

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other coaching children topics

When an athlete tells you "NO"

Subscribe to RSS
  • pippaglen

One of my bug bares is when children are rude and give you back chat,. Being new to coaching football and not all athletes know who I am and that in fact I'm not a random person walking around the food ball. Last Wednesday whilst setting up my football session for the 4 to 7 years I noticed an older athlete on the next pitch kicking the ball around with his football boot laces untied, noticing that these athletes were kicking the ball really high and saw one of the football shoes fly off and just missing another child. The athletes wasn't in my group and the coaches was busy signing other athletes in. I asked the athlete politely to put his shoe on make sure his shoe laces were tied properly as this might cause an injury to himself or other athletes. This child didn't care and walked away, again I asked the athlete to tie his laces to the reply I received was "NO" at the point the coach arrived I didn't say anything as we was already running last and I thought it was best that I spoke to all the athletes together at the end of session.

I didn't want to make a massive deal about shoe laces not being tied so at the end of training session I grouped all athlete's together without naming and shaming athlete's I advised athletes that it was important that shoe laces must be tied for there own safety and others around and to prevent any injuries, any athlete refusing to tie shoe laces wouldn't be able to train I also advised that if they struggled to tie there shoe laces then myself or another coach will quite happily do this.  

The child who's name I never mentioned and had previously spoken to regarding his shoe laces held is head down. hopefully this week things might be different and that all the athlete's had listened. 

How would you have handled the situation?

Have you had athletes that have been rude towards you because your a new coach? or just rude in general.

For me health and safety is a must, some of you might think that this is nothing but to me its important, I certainly wouldn't allow my athletes from athletics go on track with their spikes un tied.

Do you think I should have left the other coach to deal with the issue?

• Jakebrown853

Hi Emma,

I think the way you have dealt with the particular situation was good, do remember that there is no completely right or wrong way to deal with all of this. However, this rude reply that have you received needs to be addressed immediately, everybody needs to be aware that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable and that from that moment onwards it would not be tolerated.

You will be treating your players with respect and they should treat you the same. Sometimes this takes time as some young people will be distrusting to figures of authority for many reasons that you may not be aware of.

Speaking to everyone at the end can be useful but most of the time a chat on behaviour at the end of a session is immediately forgotten as you wont see them in a week or the next session you take.

Don't feel as thought you are not in charge of your own session, don't feel pressure from the parents or anyone who is watching. Take your time, stop the session, explain what you expect clearly, ask for confirmation of what you have asked and continue.

You obviously have to respect your colleagues but if something happens that you can deal with when your colleague is not there or has not seen, you will trust that your colleague trusts you enough to deliver information that they would have dealt with in your situation.

I have had rude behaviour in my under 7s futsal session from 2 young people who would refuse to follow simple instructions. I had to take them out of the session and confirm what is expected of them when part of a team. I prefer to speak directly to those involved rather than stopping everyone in the session.  

Thanks,

Jake 

• pippaglen

Hi Jake

Thanks for your reply, I think the fact I don't like treading on others toes when it come to other coaches athletes but when I see a health and safety issue taking place that could have harmed another player I felt that it was my responsibility to step in due to the other coach being busy. 

I think maybe I will have a  word with the other coach and instead of the players just kicking the ball about before the start of session it might be better I do a warm up game with all players together this way it will be a more controlled environment and the older players will get used to me.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)