Loading ...

Painting pictures for players: How do you facilitate learning with your players/athletes? | Coaching Youth (age 13-18)

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Youth (age 13-18) » Forum » Coaching Youth (age 13-18), General Forum » Painting pictures for players: How do you facilitate learning with your players/athletes?
Coaching Youth (age 13-18)

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Coaching Youth (age 13-18), General Forum

Painting pictures for players: How do you facilitate learning with your players/athletes?

Subscribe to RSS
  • saranicolehilton

As coaches we always try to provide our players with specific visual queues and triggers to improve performance. Research suggests that in day to day life 75% of what we learn is from visual stimuli compared to just 3% through taste, 3% through smell, 6% through touch and 13% through hearing. Furthermore, we remember 10% of what we hear and 35% of what we see. This figure increases to 65% when both are combined. Based on these figures, visual aides in sport could be seen as crucial elements to the coaching process. How do you facilitate learning with your players/athletes?  Do you use visual aids or have an alternative method? 

• LizBurkinshaw

Technology can play a part with visual aids. I like the idea of giving some you tubes clips for young people to watch and then practice at home before coming to session to continue to work on them. From what I can understand education land uses this and is referred to as 'flipped' learning 

• JonWoodward74

Love the post Sara - i think we all use visual stimuli without even knowing it - bibs, cones, targets, lines are linked to some way of playing, training and engaging. I am always conscious of not using the visual aids as a pre-conditioning of the players, but more as a recognition of a situation, position on a pitch, etc and the understanding of how to react (which can be in several ways).

I would dispute the 'feel' point (but this may be in the different understanding of the meaning), as it is important to feel/touch - how does the ball feel against a body part, how does the ball strike feel through the body part or equipment, how does it feel to move your body in a certain way, etc,

I think it is how you use the best of all the stimuli to react and understand the situation - as a (very erratic) golfer, I know when the shot is good or bad, from how the swing feels, how the contact with the ball (or ground!) feels, where the shot goes, etc

It is a combination of everything - but may also be aligned to how the person learns.

• batty

The big thing for me to paint the right picture is breaking down the skills, otherwise known as the "critical Features" 

skills are complex processes and athletes are only just learning fine motor skills are this age so when they are bombarded with a complex process, completing it can be difficult, therefore to break down the skill as much as possible and then introduce the athlete to the skills step by step should help

If you excuse the cheeseyness of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7JP7KllDm0 which was completed for my degree (we had to coach a skill) you can see the break down of the critical features of the skill of performing an overhead pass in american football... 

So basically, don't overwhelm the athlete - make it simple!

Michelle

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)