Loading ...

What are your top tips for Coaching Adults?

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Adults » Forum » All other topics on coaching adults » What are your top tips for Coaching Adults?
Coaching Adults

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other topics on coaching adults

What are your top tips for Coaching Adults?

Subscribe to RSS
  • robertkmaaye

I'm interested to hear what your top tips are for coaching adults. This is with a view to turning it into a blog post so the tips can benefit all future members of ConnectedCoaches as we did in the Coaching Youth (Age 13-18) group where members shared their top tips for coaching 13-18 year olds. I look forward to reading your responses.

• Mhebden15

I have just recently take up a coaching role working with senior rugby players, all my coaching experience previous to this has been with junior players. I'm enjoying working with a different group the new chalanges it presents. Has anyone else made a similar step? I very much try to adopt a player centered approach with lots of questioning and most of my coaching is conducted through game-play. The adults seem to be very new to this style of coaching - has anyone esle experienced anything similar? 

• David_T

Controversial perhaps, but i've certainly tended to find that with older athletes who have often been spoon fed, through school and perhaps coaching, when they do meet what I think of as modern coaching...

Well they can find it frustrating to actually have them be encoraged to find the answers, so I think it does take a bit of time and patience.  I still firmly beleive it is worth persevering with though.

"i dont know, you're the coach...you tell me"

• With the adults I coach, they have entered sport at a more mature age - so haven't skated as a youth, but have always wanted to do so!

I find that they tend to want more specific instructions with the skill broken down in fine detail. They like to know how something works so to speak - so with a child I can tell them to place their foot at a specific point and to think of that when executing a new skill but with an adult skater I find I have to tell them where, when why and how because they think a lot more.

Often, I tell them not to overthink - as we are training muscles to eventually execute a skill without detailed thought, simply because they don't have the time in the air (jumping for example) to do so!

• Wendyrussell

Keep going with the questioning and game like situations, they will get used to it. Questioning will develop their understanding of why they do things in certain situations. Which means as a coach you will have to direct less when on the side lines.it will take time to get the questioning right, just make sure it's open ended and leads them to discuss what you want. 

Hockey have something called the golden thread with regards to how to coach. It's very interesting.

• dedson1991

As a coach who has worked with adults participants, with a range of motivations and skills sets for a number of years. I have developed some top tips for working with adults and providing an excellent coaching environment.

• The emphasis for any session needs to be around fun and enjoyment, but as coaches we need to be able to finely balance this against the desire of those participants who wish to compete in sport.
    • As coaches we need to be committed to the role and plan in advance for both individual sessions and the season as a whole. I have also find allowing participants to have the opportunity to input and contribute to the structure, content and decisions about training helps to further engage adult participants.
    • Gaining an overall picture of the participants in the group helps coaches to better understand the dynamics and makeup of the group and allows them to better plan and delivery higher quality sessions, useful information to ascertain includes;
      • Participant’s motives for taking part in the activity or session as these will differ and have a baring on how as a coach you work with both individuals and the group as a whole.
      • Their availability as well as the level of commitment to each of the sessions and/or activities. The majority of adults have work and family commitments throughout the week and as coaches we need to understand where sport fits within this schedule and what commitment we can expect from them.
      • We also need to ascertain if they have previous experience of the sport/activity and if so what level did they previously play at or what are there previous experiences, thus allowing you to place them in areas of the session suitable to their experience and developed skills set.

There needs to be a recognition that all participants young and old will be motivated in different ways, some by mastering a new skill, whilst others will be motivated by gaining a positive result over an opponent or opposition team. As coaches we need to be able to differentiate between participants goals accordingly and then support and encourage participants to strive to achieve these and continue to set short, medium and long term goals.

Finally all coaches need to continue to actively learn, develop and share ideas with other coaches. Watching other coaches deliver, attending formal training and educations opportunities or utilising the ever expanding online coaching community to share ideas is crucial for all coaches working in all areas of sport to continually improve and develop their practice.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)