Loading ...

How do you support older people to get physically active? | Coaching Adults

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Adults » Forum » All other topics on coaching adults » How do you support older people to get physically active?
Coaching Adults

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: All other topics on coaching adults

How do you support older people to get physically active?

Subscribe to RSS
  • Craigblain

The CSP (Chartered Society for Physiotherapists) recently released a great animation for strength and balance activities linked to falls prevention and I think it would be really useful for those who are working with or looking to engage older people in activity. (https://www.connectedcoaches.org/spaces/3/coaching-adults/video/Craigblain/wall-videos/9386/engaging-older-people-in-physical-activity)

I would love to use it to open up the debate on how as coaches we are engaging and supporting older people/the least mobile to remain active?

• anfy
      Answered

As a bowls coach, the bulk of new participants each year are over 65 - people tend to take up bowls when they retire and/or they are fed up with playing golf in the rain! Most participants keep playing well into their 90's - even playing from a wheelchair if disabled by stroke, etc. But it appears to be sneered at and considered not a genuine "sport".

As an exercise regime, I think it is perfect, as it involves gentle walking (I reckon a bowls match involves at least 1 km of walking), balance, repeated squats, etc. All of this must be done when the body is relaxed - you get instant feedback if you bowl tense! An added bonus is the social side - vital in keeping older people active and involved. 

I reckon joining a bowls club ought to be on prescription! For those of you who think it is easy, I suggest you try and bowl in two three-hour matches back-to-back... I wonder how many physiotherapists actually recommend taking up bowls rather than doing a boring set of exercises?

Off out now for the first session of coaching for 20 brand new bowlers. Doing my bit for the elderly! (I'm only 69, so I guess I am one of them!)

• Craigblain

Anthea, Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my vlog, I really do value your comments. I hope that the content of the animation was of use to you. Bowls does sound like a really great sport! to engage older people in, as are many other sports.

• What type of warm up activities do you currently use with your bowlers? 
    • How different from the exercises the animation?

I am assuming very similar from what you describe the bowling action to be.

Your group sounds to be flourishing with 20 new participant engaging with you,

• Are you doing anything to highlight to your local health networks how relevant your session could be to the health of the residents?

Well worth a conversation it sounds like as you seem to have a  great passion for your sport, and the ability to highlight where this connects to broader health outcomes.

• Does anyone else have examples of where this type of signposting has worked well?

#KeepTheConversationGoing

• anfy
    On 04/10/17 3:27 PM, Craig Blain said:

What type of warm up activities do you currently use with your bowlers? 

We use mainly stretching exercises as (1) bowls is not a cardio-intensive sport and (2) bowls needs to be done with a relaxed body - tension is a major factor in playing badly. I have attached a booklet I hand out when introducing new bowlers to the concept of warm-up (all four pages get printed on one A4 sheet, then repeated for the other side, so it folds into an A6 booklet). It is a much simplified version of the required element of the Level 1 and 2 qualification. Unfortunately, this element is generic (not bowls specific) and, if many of my players were to attempt the "recommended" exercises, we would have 999 on speed dial! A cool down is also incorporated as you will see from the leaflet.

How different from the exercises the animation?

You will see from the exercises that they are beyond the animation! (for example, the animation has someone walking a few steps, holding onto the furniture. A bowls green is approx. 35m long, with no hand rail!) Even if someone is playing from a wheelchair, they would need to stretch the upper body, and vice versa if using a bowling arm. By adapting exercises and equipment, we are able to cover the full spectrum of ages and abilities.

Are you doing anything to highlight to your local health networks how relevant your session could be to the health of the residents?

No. Perhaps we should. On a personal note, I have twice had operations where the physios visited me the next day to start working on getting me fit & mobile again. Both times I was told there was nothing they needed to/could do and the fast recovery was put down to the fact that bowls had kept everything agile. I could quote many other cases!

A challenge : I am sure the coaching team would be happy to run a "beginners" session for anyone interested in giving bowls a go - even if only in the interests of research! We are based in Alton in Hampshire.

I have attached a snippet of some video we took today, showing how we make a start with beginners. We are applying for grant to replace the leaking roof and they have asked for a supporting Youtube video! Suddenly I have gone from coach to film director, so I have been collecting "evidence" for about a week now ... (Wish us luck with the grant, or the centre may have to close)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)