Loading ...

Building the culture within an amateur performance team | Coaching Adults

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Coaching Adults » Forum » Maintaining Players Commitment Levels. » Building the culture within an amateur performance team
Coaching Adults

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Maintaining Players Commitment Levels.

Building the culture within an amateur performance team

Subscribe to RSS
  • BillB

I have been working with the players at our club for the last 2 years on building our culture and developing our values and attitudes. Being a completely amateur team sport I thought I would ask other coaches experiences of this process. 

What they done, best practice etc.

• pickeringr05

A really interesting topic for me this one!

I`ve just taken over (this season) at a rugby union club (not a massively high standard but the club has a great infrastructure, facility and is extremely ambitious) and am trying to build a development mindset within the players. In the past they have been used to a more command style coach and also that the best 18 players were picked regardless of whether they`ve trained or whether they have the right attitude. I`m trying to change that and it`s pretty difficult in terms of the commitment of the players to training with their jobs etc and also how disciplined I can be in the approach to picking teams who have shown commitment to the cause. In terms of the mindset then it`s definitely improving as they get used to my style but I also wonder whether I`ve got a good balance.

I read lots of books about various coaches who are extremely successful but in an amateur team the same approach isn`t easy I feel. A lot of the books seem to have the thread that the coach is a massive discipliniarian and can be very "animated" at times in their team talks and sessions - I`m totally the opposite.

I`d be really interested in how people coach amateur teams/clubs who want to develop.

• CoachFeedback

Keep your Culture Simple.

Ensure the Culture you are implementing is balanced & fits your own coaching philosophies & the personalities & capabilities of your team.

Introduce new components to your culture in gradual stages (not all at once) so as you can identify what is working effictively & what is not.

Ensure you get buy in from key influential players within the team. Include their involvement in setting & driving the culture. This is the Key.With out their support & understanding you can't build or change culture effectively. 

Constantly review everything. Encourage your culture to evolve.

• BillB

Thanks Steve some great points.

The Culture we are implementing is balanced As it was driven by the players once we identified our goal. The problem we are having is getting the young players to understand their capabilities at this point.

We have just gone through the phase of what we believe it means to play in this team, the next stage will be what attitudes that should promote this on and off court.

Our captain and our most influential player within the younger players are key to driving this culture both by example and being supportive in the small gains the players make in understanding our culture.

I completely agree that without their support & understanding you can't build or change culture effectively. 

This is our second review and I am always amazed at how quickly the culture evolves and the impact this make in training and competition.

• BillB

Hi Roger

Your situation at the club is very similar to the position we are in.

In the past we did tend to use more of the command style to get the young players to where we felt they should be, but they understood that if they trained and had the right attitude, they would play.

we find great difficulty with commitment with their jobs, studies etc. But we stayed disciplined with our approach to picking teams Based on agreed commitment With the players and getting them to plan their time better. We saw a massive shift in mindset once they understood our philosophy. As personnel change we still have to constantly find new ways with the players to juggle this element.

I agree completely regarding the books, successful coaches etc and how some people believe that they should just adopt the same philosophies and the trophy's will follow, not so easy in the amateur world.

I find coaching amateur teams/clubs who want to develop, need to build their culture and what the vision is, maybe it is to be come a professional team or the best amaruer team in Europe etc. No matter what the vision is it does not need a timeline, just a culture with the value needed to drive the team towards this vision. That is what then sets my coaching style and planning.

• CoachFeedback

Bill it sounds like you are on your way towards establishing a strong culture.

As you go through each stage to help  the understanding for your younger players it is important to recognise, reward & encourage behaviors & actions that promote the culture you are trying to build. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)