Loading ...

Sport Analysis | Embracing Technology

ConnectedCoaches uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of the cookies. For more details about cookies how we manage them and how you can delete them see the 'Use of cookies' part of our privacy policy. Click the cross to close this cookie notice. X

ad
Home » Groups » Embracing Technology » Forum » Video Analysis » Sport Analysis
Embracing Technology

Leave group:

Are you sure you want to leave this space?

Join this group:

Join this space?

Add a new tab

Add a hyperlink to the space navigation. You can link to internal or external web pages. Enter the Tab name and Tab URL. Upload or choose an icon. Then click Save.

The name that will appear in the space navigation.
The url can point to an internal or external web page.
Login to follow, share, and participate in this group.
Not a member?Join now
Posted in: Video Analysis

Sport Analysis

Subscribe to RSS
  • DSGEM

Hi All

I have recently joined a Football club which has the support in place to film all the football matches to provide weekly feedback and analysis to the players. Currently i have been searching for a suitable process for providing feedback to the players, does anyone have any ideas as this is an area which is quite new to me.

Currently using Vimeo and Longomatch to tag and share matches and individual performances,  both resources are very good tools.

https://longomatch.com/en/

www.vimeo.com/‎

http://thevideoanalyst.com/the-role-of-performance-analysts-in-elite-football-club-settings/

I have found some information but would appreciate any advice on the subject

Regards David

• robertkmaaye

Hi David

We’ve had quite a lot shared on ConnectedCoaches that I think might help you on this. I’ve done my best to collate a bit of it linking off to the more in depth blogs or conversation thread.

You’ve mentioned a couple of resources you use that you’ve found useful. Another one to make you aware of is Hudl which has cropped up in a few conversation threads. Andy Poppleton and Val Andrews comment on how easy it is to use in this the use of technology thread. The reason I bring this one up in particular is in this video analysis thread Simon Browning touches on the process he goes through using that app and how also as part of the process he uses Facebook to gain feedback from his players. Jon Woodward  &  Rachel Hooper  have also reviewed the app here.

You might also find Blake Richardson 's blog with Richard Allen useful (Help or hindrance: The use of video analysis to aid player development)

In the blog Rich emphasised the importance for coaches to create an environment where the players take ownership of their own development and learning….saying “what better way to do this than asking them to track their own performance targets through video footage? This will significantly increase their level of enthusiasm, and will save you a lot of time viewing the intricacies of every player’s display after each match.” He then goes on to share his experiences, process and tips which I’m sure contains lots that you might find helpful.

I'm sure others will reply sharing their experiences and processes but in the meantime hope this helps

Cheers

Rob

• Coach_Browning

I haven't really looked at that Longomatch before. It looks really good. Just a quick scroll through it seems to imply that the software can cover all you need with regards to annotations/breakdown/etc... so the creation of the feedback looks covered. Therefore, are you looking for tips on how to get this information to the players - and have them understand it - rather than how you might use other technologies to create it?

If so...

1) first of all, I think that the first thing you need to do is teach them how to watch film. It is a skill in its own right. One way to do this is to set them small tasks each week. So for example, give them some footage of another team and ask them to give you a a couple of tendencies or notes on an opposition player that they would face - so a striker commenting on the defenders and vice versa. This serves two purposes. First, it gets them analysing film with regards to specifics rather than the game as a whole. Second it gets them thinking about their game and what they might need to do in certain situations. This then leads to them undertaking self-feedback and being able to articulate developments themselves. 

2) Alongside this, there needs to be a culture created (not saying it doesnt exist already) that comments made on player performance are done constructively and not negatively. Do you need to single out  mistake by a player in front of the whole team? Players need to be comfortable in the feedback environment. Yes you will point out mistakes - that is part of it - but it needs to be in a controlled way that allows them to learn and rectify. 

3) How do you communicate to players. This is the biggie really, and really depends on your group If you have a dedicated slot in the week that they are all in there, then this is ideal. In a previous club we had a film session immediately before the field element. So all players came to the film room. We went through everything and then went out on the field. This lessened the need for multiple platforms and communication strands. In my current club, this isnt really possible so alternatives are needed. One way we got round it was through Facebook. Simple tool that pretty much everyone has nowadays (or at least the demographic I work with!). Host the film on YouTube. Provide a link in a closed facebook players group. Upload a document with additional notes if needed. Have the ability to talk to the team as a whole or use messenger to speak to individuals. An example of this is one where we let a kick return go for a big gain. The footage went up on Facebook as normal, and I provided some general comments about changes. I was then able to directly message a player in particular to have a private conversation with him as to what he had done on the play and what he needed to change. Fast forward to the next week. Different opposition, same thing starts to happen, but this player is now in the right place and stops the return. 

But to sum up really, it all comes down to things like, are you looking to host material so that players can access it in their own time or are you looking to provide it to them in a more direct fashion

If the former, then this is more set up for you as you need to provide them with everything that they will need to be able to see the points in the film - hence the need to educate them on how to watch film. If the latter, then it is less set up from you as you can pass the information on in other ways, but you need to be conscious of providing critical feedback in a group setting

• DSGEM

Hi Simon

Thanks very much for your reply, some very helpful hints and advice

Regards David

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)